The Urban Secret Garden photography project is about wandering, loss, memory and the search for home. Photographing started in 2010, as an improvisation, in the course of aimless morning walks.
All contemporary photographs were taken in Thessaloniki in the dawn of the Greek depression....
“In that house, every morning the bugler announced to us the dawning of the new day and every dusk
he lowered the flag, leading us to the slumber of childhood... I hear Dorothy assuring me There’s no place like home... The one whose pattern is lost. It was made to measure to remind me of the birthday party.
I put on one of the flower print dresses hanging in a perfectly arranged row... That’s where I observe the seams connecting the pieces into a single garment that contains us....” (extract from The Seams essay). Contemporary photographs made with film and a 6X6 analog camera, vintage photographs digitally processed, color threads, embroidered French white linen, The Seams essay, digital printing, handcrafted boxes and folders are all important components of the artist’s photobook Urban Secret Garden - a trilogy book of photographs.
You can find the complete statement in the pdf link bellow.
Urban Secret GardenPhotography Project Information
SOLO EXHIBITIONS (2020 – 2019)
• 2020 Urban Secret Garden – a reading Ileana Tounta Contemporary Art Center – Athens
The Seams audio installation was designed especially for the Athens exhibition.
Text: Lia Nalbantidou & Sila Zamani | English Translation: Thalia Bisticas | Voices: Daphne Kalafati, Artemis Chalkidou & Mia Frimmer | Original music composition: Joe Bauer | Production: Mia Frimmer – Berlin
• 2019 Urban Secret Garden – a reading (A MIET/National Bank of Greece Cultural Foundation Coproduction)
Villa Kapandzi – Thessaloniki Press Release Gr
GROUP EXHIBITIONS (2020 – 2014)
• 2020 All together now Ileana Tounta Contemporary Art Center – Athens
• 2016 Ano Poli: A stroll in the city Municipal Art Gallery Villa Bianca, Thessaloniki
• 2014 LogosV - City Narratives Photobiennale – Museum of Byzantine Culture, Thessaloniki
• 2014 Tempus Ritualis Galerie am Körnerpark, Berlin
• 2014 Tempus Ritualis Contemporary Art Center, Thessaloniki